By today, many of us would know that in the last 2 weeks, AC Milan Brazilian attacking midfielder Kaka almost single-handedly caused the exit of Manchester United in this year's Champions League. He scored 3 of AC Milan's 5 goals in the 2-leg semi-final. What many of us may not have heard/read is his testimony and why he always points to the sky when he scores a goal and wears a t-shirt under his jersey with the words I Belong to Jesus. This is an exerpt taken from an interview between Kaka and Athletes of Christ (AOC)-
AOC: Tell us about your conversion.
Kaka: I was born to an evangelical home. My parents were already saved and I grew up in the presence of the Lord. My conversion occurred after my baptism, when I began having a relationship of Father to son with God. When I was baptized in 1994, something supernatural happened to me. I can not explain it, but after that experience I got closer to God, more in-tuned with Him. At that moment I was really born spiritually. I began to know God more in depth, and I've learned that faith works within the limits of the circumstances. With God things are solved at the last moment, and it is faith that decides whether something will happen or not.
AOC: How about one dramatic situation?
Kaka: It happened in October of 2000. I was playing at the Juniors Championship. I had gone to visit my grandparents (my father's side) in Caldas Novas, and there I slipped on a swimming pool slide, on a water-toboggan. When I fell into the water I hit my head on the bottom on the pool and twisted my neck, which caused a fracture on a vertebrae. The doctors said that I was lucky to be able to even walk normally. They were talking about luck and my family was talking about God. Back at home we always thanked God because we knew that it was His hand that had saved and protected me.
This is the commentary upon his return to soccer after his career-threatening injury-
"One year later Kaká made his comeback on the pitch, when he came in as a reserve-substitute in the Tornero Rio Final. His team was down by one goal when the coach decided to put on the reserve, Kaká with 14 minutes left. The commentators were upset and said that there was some possibility that the São Paulo coach was crazy, but after two minutes Kaká had scored two goals and taken his team to a victory. He attributes his recovery to God and has since tithed his income to his church."
I encourage you to read the whole interview by following this link.
Friday, May 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment